If you love the idea of bacon-infused bourbon, then you'll love this Bloody Mary cocktail drink. This Bloody Mary strays from its usual main ingredient of vodka with a smoky, rich, bacon-flavored bourbon.
Aaron Butler, bar manager at Russell House Tavern puts his own creative spin on a Bloody Mary. Starting with bacon-infused bourbon over ice, add your favorite Bloody Mary mix, give it a stir and serve with a crispy bacon swizzle stick. You'll be in hog heaven!
*Bacon-Infused Bourbon - Prepare 24 hours before making Blood Mary
Makes 1 liter
* 4 oz warm bacon grease (grease from about 2 lbs cooked bacon)
* 1 liter (4 cups) bourbon
* fine-mesh strainer
* coffee filter
* 1 liter bottle with pouring spout
Bloody Mary - Makes 1 cocktail
* ice to fill 14-16 oz glass
* 2 oz Bacon-Infused Bourbon (see How-to)*
* 6 oz Bloody Mary mix of choice
* 1 strip crispy bacon
Prepare Bacon-Infused Bourbon*
1. Combine bacon grease and bourbon in a large, shallow container
2. Cover and allow to sit for 24 hours at room temperature. This process is called "fat washing" the bourbon. The fat will solidify at the top of the mixture
3. Place a coffee filter inside a fine-mesh strainer and pass mixture through strainer to remove all fat particles
4. Funnel into a bottle and store at room temperature
Make Blood Mary
1. Fill a 14-16 oz glass with ice
2. Add Bacon-Infused Bourbon*
3. Top with Bloody Mary mix to fill and stir gently
4. Garnish with a strip of crispy bacon and enjoy!